Sunday 24 May 2015

Step by Step (oo baby)




Sorry about the title, those as old as me will recognise this as New Kids On The Block song from 1990 (if any of you say you were not born at this point, keep that info to yourself when we meet!)

Who knew that an American boy band were singing about horsemanship!  Ok, ok, so maybe it was more about dating girls with perms and having baggy trousers, but this song struck a cord with me this week when it came to thinking about training horses (feel free at this point to rush to YouTube to listen to 5 minutes and 26 seconds of 90's goodness, I'll wait...)

You're back? Really you came back after listening to that?  You're nuttier than me....

Now as I was saying...  Step by step (oo baby), gonna get to you girrrrrl.  Or in this case my horses feet.

Step....  Set it up for success
Step.... Offer a good deal
Step.... Reward the slightest try

I really want you in my wooooorrrrrrllllddd!!!

Step... keep your emotions in check
Step... let the horse make mistakes so you can both learn
Step...consistency... be the human your horse needs you to be and reliable

I really thinks it's just a matter of ttiiiiimmeeeee!!!

I think the reason that a throwback Thursday tune resonated with me about my horses is that although the subject matter was very different, the message is similar.

Be consistent with your steps/responses when with your horse.
Take the time it takes so you both can develop and move forward.
Have a clear goal in which to aim for together, and don't be discouraged if the horse (or girl) says no.  Did you ask the question wrong or ask the wrong question?


Hmm now I wonder if the Backstreet Boys have any words of wisdom? ;)

See you on the flip side x


** Of course dating girls is a bit different lads, if she really says no, leave her alone but don't let it put you off dating, plenty more fish in the sea and all that :) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment